Main FAQ Search Member List User Groups Profile Log in to check your private messages
Login Register
VvV folding team?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you interested in being part of a folding home team?
Yes, and I have a ps3
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Yes, but I do not have a ps3
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, I do not wish to join a VvV folding team.
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

Maelos
Lil Vader
Lil Vader

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: VvV folding team? Reply with quote

I don't know how much it would raise my electric bill, but I could take the lead on the team if anyone is interested. I only have like 4 or 5 units done, but even one or two other people would be fun to add. If I get a few positive responses I will post again with the team name
WEAP0N-X-
Find a SPOON!
Find a SPOON!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummmm...folding team? please explain.

PS3 name = SCHOTZ
Maelos
Lil Vader
Lil Vader

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Folding At Home program included on your Playstation 3. The project is part of a research effort by Stanford University which uses computers all over the world. Each computer is given a work unit to complete so that the load is spread. Depending on which mode you choose, normal or advanced, it may take up to 8 hours to complete a work unit. Yeah, that is a lot of time, but I consider it a pretty decent screensaver. You can import your music to the ps3 and have the folding@home program run the music in the background. It is basically something nice to do, not really too significant. There is little interactivity unless you really like your organic chemistry, but I think its fun to look at. The only downside would be the power usage leading to higher electric bills, but thats about it.

As for the actual team, it just totals the work units completed by the different team members. I just noticed that NR and CoF have teams and thought it would be nice to start our own. The entire point of folding@home is to be a part of something greater, so why not work in a team while we are at it?

For more information check out: http://folding.stanford.edu

The PS3 has an incredible amount of processing power, all you need to do is look at the website statistics to see.

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats

It takes 31,579 PS3s to do 783 teraflops. Meaning rougly 4.5 PS3s per teraflop.
It takes 183,724 Window's machines to do 175 teraflops. Meaning roughly 1050 Window's computers per teraflop.

So the average ps3 is rougly 233 times faster than the average Windows machine. More details on what types of calculation each system is best in and more statistic's are on the website.

*again, more info is on the site. All of this and more is availible through the ps3 version of the program.*

------ POWER CONSUMPTION, from FAQ ------

Vijay Pande and Stanford University wrote:
What is the power consumption of the PS3 running the FAH client? Is it safe to run the PS3 24X7?

We expect the PS3 to use about 200W while running Folding@Home. We have several PS3's running in our lab, running Folding@Home 24/7 and have had good results so far.

Omaha
Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, do we have a folding team ??? Rolling Eyes

APE had one but it was short lived.
Maelos
Lil Vader
Lil Vader

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I looked into starting one, but I might wait for the new site to come up beforehand. It asks for a group site, logo, etc which I know will change with the URL.

Noooooo, I liked being Yoda more! Drat, hopefully I can get it changed by March.
WEAP0N-X-
Find a SPOON!
Find a SPOON!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't leave my PS3 when not using it anyways, unless I'm downloading something.

PS3 name = SCHOTZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Veni Vidi Vici Forum Index -> Sony General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: